Weight Loss Meal PlanningIf you want to shed some fat the healthy way, by improving your diet over time, then you need to do some weight loss meal planning to make sure you are eating the best foods to burn some fat. It is not rocket science but there are some basic rules regarding what you choose. If you follow these rules and do some moderate exercise it will make a one hundred percent difference to your success or failure. I have listed below the main food basics that you need to know.
1. Food Groups
There is a small number of food groups that you need to think about when choosing what you eat. You need to eat a selection of food from each of these groups to maintain a healthy diet. A healthy diet is essential to weight loss as it will help speed up your metabolism and stop you storing food as fat.
- Proteins: protein forms the building blocks of your body for growth and repair
- Carbohydrates: provides you with fuel or energy, too little and you will be tired
- Vitamins and mineral salts: these are essential to keep your body healthy
- Fats: these also provide energy and some fat soluble vitamins
- Fiber: is needed to help your digestive system work
Did you notice that sugar was not included in my list? That is because you really do not need refined sugar especially if you want to shed some pounds and create weight busting menus.
2. Balancing the food groups
You need to eat food from each group every day to stay healthy. Don't make the mistake of thinking that if you do not eat fat you will stay wonderfully thin. Your body can convert protein and carbohydrate into fat. As a rule of thumb you should eat equal amounts of foods containing proteins, carbohydrates and vitamins/minerals. If you eat the right foods from these groups you will get enough fat and fiber in your diet.
3. Choosing the best foods to eat within each group
Some foods are just better for us and that is a fact. The better foods are usually the more natural foods. So when drawing up your diet, leave out processed foods like white rice, white bread and pasta and throw away your deep fat fryer because they have no place in a fat busting diet.
4. Here is my short list of the best foods to eat - each group is best first
- Proteins: nuts and seeds, pulses (beans and lentils), oily fish, shell-fish, white meat (chickens breast without the skin) fat reduced dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs) lean red meats
- Carbohydrates: starchy foods such as rolled oats, potatoes, yam, brown rice, whole-meal cereals (whole-meal bread and pastas).
- Vitamins and minerals: fresh fruits and vegetables, especially colourful plants such as dark green leaves (spinach, kale), strawberries, blue berries, oranges, carrots, red and green peppers and so on.
- Fat and fiber: if you eat a good combination of the other three food groups and you eat plenty of raw fruit and vegetable, nuts, seeds and whole foods such as brown rice and whole cereals you will get enough fat and fiber.
5. Amounts of each food group to eat
Try to eat at least equal amounts of proteins, starchy carbohydrates and fruits and vegetables in every meal and eat frequently but moderately.
Remember the five a day rule that you should eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables every day and eat them raw when possible, make salads and juices to go with your meals.
Also make sure you eat nuts and seeds daily - sprinkle them onto other meals, into your salads and your cereal dishes.
6. Finally here are a few don'ts
- Don't eat fried foods and processed foods like white bakery goods or lots of pasta and pizzas, or white rice they are all low in nutritional value.
- Don't eat sweetened foods laden with sugar, glucose, fructose...
- Drop the coffee and sweet drinks.
- Drop fried foods.
- Drop alcohol or reduce it to special occasions.
I wish you every success with eating healthy and shedding some pounds.
SEE ALSO: Best Foods To Eat To Lose Weight Quickl
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Linda_May